Sunday, October 7, 2007

(Post # 41) 13,000 Yoga Related Injuries

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission there were over 13,000 Americans treated in an emergency room or doctor's office for yoga-related injuries in the last three years.

All these injuries are thought to be caused by specific yoga poses, lack of preparation, age, and/or unqualified instructors.

I believe that some of these factors may contribute to these injuries, but I also believe that the problem is caused by not asking the right questions:

Why am I stretching?

How do I know I need flexibility rather than stability?

If I have loose or unstable joints, would yoga help me or hurt me?

Can too much yoga create so much flexibility that it becomes instability?

I am posing these questions because I believe yoga can be very beneficial for the right person, for the right reason, when combined with the right amount of stability training and with the right the instructor.